Wednesday 23 April 2014

Refraction (refection) Photography in Glassware

Refraction photography is not simply scientific photos of science experiments but when some artistic flare and forethought it used, it is a great way to pass a nice day out in the field.  When I first started on my photography journey, one of the first assignments I ever shot was the reflection of Flinders street station in Melbourne through a wine glass filled with water. I remember feeling a little foolish placing my wine glass at different locations and filling it with water.  I certainly got a few strange looks and often people coming up to me asking what I was doing.  I wish I still had that image (which was shot on negative by the way) to post here but the following image will give you a bit of an idea as to what I mean by refraction or reflection photography using glassware.   

http://alexicirelli.wordpress.com/2011/04/

The key to creating successful images is to ensure you have a nice clear bright day.  You will need plenty of light to get a clear image in the water of the glass. Pick locations which are reasonably open (in saying this I would like to experiment with street scenes) to start with. 

Image by David Rigg - Fine art America

To make the experiment a little easier at first, simple fill the frame with the glass at first.  Make sure you turn the camera focus to manual and focus on the image in the glass, not the glass itself. I like to use an aperture of around f f8 as I like to have the background blurred a little so that the focus is on the image in the glass. As with anything photography, experiment and see what you come up with.


http://www.aaanything.net

As you become more experienced, try sunsets, people, famous landmarks (if you can get to them) or anything you think will work.  Use your creativity and see what is successful or not.  This is often how some great techniques have been discovered.  Just give it a try. 
BMW









No comments:

Post a Comment